At dinner tonight, Chiara gave me a thumbs up sign and declared that she wanted the leftovers for her lunch at school tomorrow. That is definitely an endorsement! I edited and improvised upon Bon Appetit’s Vegan Tortilla soup:
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder >> omitted for the children, but I used pepper sauce on my serving at dinner.
- 4 cups canned vegetable broth >> I used bouillion
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 6-inch-diameter corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped zucchini
- >> I added about a cup of frozen sweet corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeÃ±o chili >> I omitted
Spray large nonstick saucepan with vegetable oil spray. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook over medium-low heat until almost tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cumin and chili powder. Add broth and 2 tablespoons cilantro; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
Add tortillas, tomatoes, beans, zucchini and jalapeÃ±o to soup. Cover; simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.